We've Moved:  Metsrefugees.com Forum Index We've Moved: Metsrefugees.com
Remember This Place?
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wallace Matthews...what an idiot
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We've Moved: Metsrefugees.com Forum Index -> Hall of Fame Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
Jad



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 149
Location: Los Angeles, CA.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

Does this ass ever have ANYTHING nice to say about the Mets????

Wallace Matthews
Mets making turkeys of fans
November 22, 2006, 7:47 PM EST

On the joyous occasion of Thanksgiving Day, let us take a moment to thank the New York Mets.

For nothing.

Last week, the club gleefully announced its sweetheart stadium deal that will hand over to them, rent-free, tax-free and finance-charge free, a virtually limitless source of income for the next several generations of Wilpons.

And in return, they give us Moises Alou.

And Jose Pornstache. And Orlando Hernandez. And let us not forget Damion Easley.

These four gentlemen have one important thing in common. They are all old, verging on ancient. The youngest is Easley; he turned 37 on Nov. 11, a month after Pornstache. The oldest, of course, is El Duque, whose official age is also 37, but whose actual age can only be verified through carbon dating. Then there is Julio Franco, the only active Met who can get into Shea on a seniors pass.

Somewhere in the middle sits Alou, 40 years old and more importantly, healthy enough in 2006 to appear in just 98 games. That is one more than the man he is expected to replace, Cliff Floyd, who was let go because, well, he gets hurt too often and misses too many games.

What this means is that the Mets have done the near impossible. They have managed to find themselves an outfielder not only older than Floyd, but equally infirm.

If there is logic in this sort of thinking, it must exist on an intellectual level I am incapable of comprehending.

In my simple way of thinking, in baseball, older generally does not mean better. It means more likely to break down late in the season, at precisely the moment when a team will be least able to afford it. Kind of like what happened at the end of last season, when, in rapid succession, the Mets lost Floyd, El Duque and Pedro Martinez to a malady no doctor can cure: old age. Yes, we know Pedro is a mere 35, but his arm is 150.

Clearly, the Mets learned nothing last year about the fragility and unreliability of old bodies on a baseball field. They claim to be "building" off their near-miss/collapse (your choice) of 2006, but the only thing they are building is a nursing home. Right now, it is a toss up which will be retired first, Shea Stadium or half the Mets roster.

And have I mentioned that the Mets are still pursuing 41-year-old Tom Glavine for not one, but two more years?

Last year, it looked as if GM Omar Minaya had a master plan to keep the Mets in perpetual contention and the Wilpons in perpetual cable subscriptions and season-ticket renewals.

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.

They passed on Alfonso Soriano, who would have owned leftfield until Jeff Wilpon was old enough to shave, and if they make a big expenditure this winter, it is likely to be on Barry Zito, who at his best will merely be one more slop merchant in a rotation of junkmen.

And that is another lesson seemingly lost on the Mets. You sign a comparatively-young outfielder -- Soriano is 30 -- for seven years, you can bank on seven years of high-level production.

You sign a pitcher for seven years, you can bank on many trips to Birmingham, Alabama and the office of Frank Andrews, orthopedic surgeon. Take your pick from the laundry list of potential disasters: rotator-cuff blowout, Tommy John surgery, torn elbow tendons, dead arm syndrome, etc.

Just look at the recent history of long-term deals for free-agent pitchers: Randy Johnson. Carl Pavano. Kevin Brown. Mark Mulder. Kevin Millwood. They worked out well, didn't they?

And, oh yeah, there's Pedro, who may well have thrown his last pitch as a Met but has two more years of paychecks coming.

As bad as the Mets season ended, so far their off-season has been worse. The best deal they have made was to trade away poor old Bill Shea for 20 years worth of $20 million checks.

When they announced the stadium deal last week, plenty of Mets fans swallowed the Wilpon spin, that even though their would be 10,000 fewer seats, higher ticket prices and, possibly, personal seat licenses, it would all work out for the best because now the team would be able to spend money in Yankee-like excess.

So far, they have spent like the Florida Marlins and signed like the Kansas City Royals. They take and take and take from the good people and bad politicians of this city, and they give you back Moises Alou.

Even on Thanksgiving Day, being a Mets fan remains a thankless task.

_________________
I reject your reality and substitue my own.


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spadanko



Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 6554
Location: Bloomfield, NJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a fucking moron

_________________
YOUR MOM'S BOX!!!

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
charlie_obrien_fan



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4379
Location: RFK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jmb9191
Daddy's Little Girl


Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 11489

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dude were fucked. we suck.

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!




02/8-9/07, 3/5/07 WFAN. Jon from Marlboro...and Morganville


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnybodyButBengie
Site Developer
Site Developer


Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 2786

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in two years, the Mets won't be paying any of these guys while for GMs such as Bill Stoneman and Ned Colletti, Winter 2006 will be like the night they got drunk, hired a hooker, and contracted chlamydia.

Yeah, maybe we boned an ugly chick (or an old one, in this case), but that'll be over and done with. At least it won't burn when we pee.

...I don't really know where I'm going with this analogy, so I'm just gonna stop.

The gist of it is that short term solutions are the way to go. Maybe we won't field the best team possible, but we live to spend another day and I can't say that much for some of these other teams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BelloChenzo



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 5314
Location: Near the Pacific

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your analogy makes poerfect sense, Any.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mets5



Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 496
Location: New York

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fucking moron! Met hater!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nymdan9



Joined: 18 Aug 2006
Posts: 4271
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnybodyButBengie wrote:
Yeah, maybe we boned an ugly chick (or an old one, in this case), but that'll be over and done with. At least it won't burn when we pee.


Hahahahaha that's awesome... I love this board

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audi_driver4life



Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 2537
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)


And which one of these guys are an everyday position player?

Milledge.....good luck
Pelfrey....unknown
Humber.....unknown
Vargas with his [CENSORED] can era
Maine cant get out of the 4th
Perez with his [CENSORED] can era
Bannister coming off injury
Sanchez coming off injury
Heilman....Will he even be here?
Chavez.....will he spot play again next year??

The guy has a point..........

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Penguins
Token All About College Guy


Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4997
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

audi_driver4life wrote:
charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)


And which one of these guys are an everyday position player?

Milledge.....good luck
Pelfrey....unknown
Humber.....unknown
Vargas with his [CENSORED] can era
Maine cant get out of the 4th
Perez with his [CENSORED] can era
Bannister coming off injury
Sanchez coming off injury
Heilman....Will he even be here?
Chavez.....will he spot play again next year??

The guy has a point..........


there are not many teams that have several 20 year olds as everyday position players...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audi_driver4life



Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 2537
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

Pen84guins wrote:
audi_driver4life wrote:
charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)


And which one of these guys are an everyday position player?

Milledge.....good luck
Pelfrey....unknown
Humber.....unknown
Vargas with his [CENSORED] can era
Maine cant get out of the 4th
Perez with his [CENSORED] can era
Bannister coming off injury
Sanchez coming off injury
Heilman....Will he even be here?
Chavez.....will he spot play again next year??

The guy has a point..........


there are not many teams that have several 20 year olds as everyday position players...


i agree but the point about bringing in a guy who is older and played in one more game last year than Floyd is classic

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charlie_obrien_fan



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4379
Location: RFK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

audi_driver4life wrote:
charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)


And which one of these guys are an everyday position player?

Milledge.....good luck
Pelfrey....unknown
Humber.....unknown
Vargas with his [CENSORED] can era
Maine cant get out of the 4th
Perez with his [CENSORED] can era
Bannister coming off injury
Sanchez coming off injury
Heilman....Will he even be here?
Chavez.....will he spot play again next year??

The guy has a point..........



Maybe we should have signed Jose Cruz Jr., Adam Kennedy, and Sidney Ponson to long-term contracts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mets1499



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 42
Location: Villanova, PA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he doesn't. He has no point.

Who did he want the Mets to sign? Soriano for 7-8 years? No way did I want that contract. Matthews? Pierre? What amazing, dynamic young superstar did the Mets miss? It's not like the Mets passed up Crawford and Vernon Wells. I have no complaints about Alou for one year at a similar price to what Floyd was getting. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It's not a long term commitment. If he's healthy, the rewards outweight the risks.

Same thing with the pitching. What does he expect the Mets to do? No one has signed any pitchers. He makes Zito out to be a scrub...ok, Wallace, what's your suggestion? It's the same as his complaint about young hitters, who out there does he want them to sign? I could see if the Braves had just put together a trade for Peavy or someone, and the Mets missed out. Nothing has happened yet. No one has signed that I wished the Mets had made a move for.

What team besides the Marlins fields a team with more than 5 young players having a significant role and a good record? Not to mention, I don't need the Mets to go on a shopping spree just for the sake of spending money because they have it. I'd rather them spend smart, use the big money when they need it (Beltran, hopefully Zito) and make good signings instead of giving out dumb contracts because of people like Wallace Matthews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Penguins
Token All About College Guy


Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4997
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wallace Matthews...what an idiot Reply with quote

audi_driver4life wrote:
Pen84guins wrote:
audi_driver4life wrote:
charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Jad wrote:

Now, the plan appears to be Jose Reyes, David Wright, Carlos Beltran and an annually-changing cast of aging mercenaries.


He's right. The Mets are all old besides Reyes, Wright, and Beltran.

Lastings Milledge (22)
Mike Pelfrey (23)
Philip Humber (24)
Jason Vargas (24)
John Maine (25)
Oliver Perez (25)
Brian Bannister (26)
Dirty Sanchez (27)
Aaron Heilman (28)
Endy Chavez (29)


And which one of these guys are an everyday position player?

Milledge.....good luck
Pelfrey....unknown
Humber.....unknown
Vargas with his [CENSORED] can era
Maine cant get out of the 4th
Perez with his [CENSORED] can era
Bannister coming off injury
Sanchez coming off injury
Heilman....Will he even be here?
Chavez.....will he spot play again next year??

The guy has a point..........


there are not many teams that have several 20 year olds as everyday position players...


i agree but the point about bringing in a guy who is older and played in one more game last year than Floyd is classic


that's an interesting point, but you can't argue with Alou's production when he actually did play last year as opposed to Floyd's. Also, it always seems like Floyd is hurt all the time, even when he is playing he can barely run because of a lingering injury. Alou seems to always heal at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Penguins
Token All About College Guy


Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4997
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mets1499 wrote:
No he doesn't. He has no point.

Who did he want the Mets to sign? Soriano for 7-8 years? No way did I want that contract. Matthews? Pierre? What amazing, dynamic young superstar did the Mets miss? It's not like the Mets passed up Crawford and Vernon Wells. I have no complaints about Alou for one year at a similar price to what Floyd was getting. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It's not a long term commitment. If he's healthy, the rewards outweight the risks.

Same thing with the pitching. What does he expect the Mets to do? No one has signed any pitchers. He makes Zito out to be a scrub...ok, Wallace, what's your suggestion? It's the same as his complaint about young hitters, who out there does he want them to sign? I could see if the Braves had just put together a trade for Peavy or someone, and the Mets missed out. Nothing has happened yet. No one has signed that I wished the Mets had made a move for.

What team besides the Marlins fields a team with more than 5 young players having a significant role and a good record? Not to mention, I don't need the Mets to go on a shopping spree just for the sake of spending money because they have it. I'd rather them spend smart, use the big money when they need it (Beltran, hopefully Zito) and make good signings instead of giving out dumb contracts because of people like Wallace Matthews.


Amen. Nice post man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charlie_obrien_fan



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4379
Location: RFK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now...

Alou
vs left
.349/.407/.687
vs right
.286/.334/.534
total
.301/.352/.571

Floyd
vs left
.179/.274/.357
vs right
.266/.342/.423
total
.244/.324/.407
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
audi_driver4life



Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 2537
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mets1499 wrote:
No he doesn't. He has no point.

Who did he want the Mets to sign? Soriano for 7-8 years? No way did I want that contract. Matthews? Pierre? What amazing, dynamic young superstar did the Mets miss? It's not like the Mets passed up Crawford and Vernon Wells. I have no complaints about Alou for one year at a similar price to what Floyd was getting. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It's not a long term commitment. If he's healthy, the rewards outweight the risks.

Same thing with the pitching. What does he expect the Mets to do? No one has signed any pitchers. He makes Zito out to be a scrub...ok, Wallace, what's your suggestion? It's the same as his complaint about young hitters, who out there does he want them to sign? I could see if the Braves had just put together a trade for Peavy or someone, and the Mets missed out. Nothing has happened yet. No one has signed that I wished the Mets had made a move for.

What team besides the Marlins fields a team with more than 5 young players having a significant role and a good record? Not to mention, I don't need the Mets to go on a shopping spree just for the sake of spending money because they have it. I'd rather them spend smart, use the big money when they need it (Beltran, hopefully Zito) and make good signings instead of giving out dumb contracts because of people like Wallace Matthews.


How about giving Chavez a nod and bringing in someone else on the bench? Chavez although he doesnt have power hit for average last year, plays the field well and made one the the best plays in the outfield I have ever seen in game 7.

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
audi_driver4life



Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 2537
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Come on now...

Alou
vs left
.349/.407/.687
vs right
.286/.334/.534
total
.301/.352/.571

Floyd
vs left
.179/.274/.357
vs right
.266/.342/.423
total
.244/.324/.407


will he be able to play more games next year? He has been on a steady decline since '04 in plate appearances. If he only bats 250 times next year and 60 times against a lefty, is that worth 9 million?

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
charlie_obrien_fan



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4379
Location: RFK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chavez will get a good amount of playing time. Last year he played 45 games in left, 43 games in center, and 39 games in right.

If Alou stays healthy all year, great. If not, we have very capable guys like Chavez to get even more playing time.

I think Omar was really looking for someone who mashes lefties in Alou, which is one of our needs.

Alou
2006 1.093OPs vs left
Career .952OPS vs left


Last edited by charlie_obrien_fan on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
charlie_obrien_fan



Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 4379
Location: RFK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audi_driver4life wrote:
charlie_obrien_fan wrote:
Come on now...

Alou
vs left
.349/.407/.687
vs right
.286/.334/.534
total
.301/.352/.571

Floyd
vs left
.179/.274/.357
vs right
.266/.342/.423
total
.244/.324/.407


will he be able to play more games next year? He has been on a steady decline since '04 in plate appearances. If he only bats 250 times next year and 60 times against a lefty, is that worth 9 million?



What do you suggest? Endy as a starter? He's been a starter two years and posted an OPS of .648 and .689. He has a career OPS of .684. We can't assume he is magically going to repeat last year's numbers again as a full time starter.

Alou has a career OPS of .884. If he has productive numbers as he had the last few years, even if he only plays 100 games, it would be worth it IMO. The worst year he has ever had in his 15 year career is a .756 OPS.

I love Chavez as a platoon player or defensive replacement. But as a starter over Alou, not even close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We've Moved: Metsrefugees.com Forum Index -> Hall of Fame Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.us free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa - Auto ICRA

Page generation time: 0.439